Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

more neon - diy

After doing some research for the last post about neon I absolutely needed something hot pink in our house. After discovering on a recent trip to Home Depot that there is flourescent spray paint I just needed something to paint. I remembered this candleholder that I didn't use in a while, actually that had not been unpacked after moving into the house almost two years ago. He kind of reminds me of Lumière the candelabra from Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Yes, I admit to watching the movie and enjoying it. I probably cried too...

If you want to try it out as well don't make the mistake I made on my first attempt. I used a dark primer, which I had on hand, on the first try and the pink just didn't want to get nice and bright. After the failed attempt I bought white primer, used it and after a couple of pink coats I got the brightness I was looking for. The color is even brighter in reality, the camera just couldn't capture it. Now I just need to find a good spot for the candelabra. I'm really digging pink right now, even got a matching cheapo nail polish for summer.

Do you have any plans to tackle a fun diy project this weekend? 

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Whoa! Nina that looks amazing. Who knew that Home Depot sells neon spray paint? Now I'm mentally scouring my house for things to transform to hot pink. That candelabra is gorgeous, and totally reminds me of Lumiere! He was so funny in that movie. I'm still a sucker for Disney movies, don't tell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin! Good luck finding something you can transform, I'm already thinking what I can spray paint next. Don't worry your Disney secret is safe with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought some neon pink acrylic paint but have to paint something with it yet...I'm in love with neon pink these days! Love how it turned out. Is it matte?

    My project for this weekend is to finish my office and get some new IKEA shelves. Finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it, sieht sehr sehr cool aus!
    Mein Experiment ist irgendwie in die Hose gegangen, war zu faul für die Kerzenständer einen Primer zu benutzen. Meinst du, ich kann statt Primer auch eine Schicht normale weiße Sprayfarbe nehmen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nina- I can't even tell you how much I love this...Now I have to dig around to find something to spray paint in neon at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Okay, you got me - Neon at home is cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool, I also want to spray something Neon now - gonna look around the house pr buy something I can spray paint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frau Haselmayer, hope your office is coming along nicely! The paint I used is matte. At first I didn't like it and wanted something glossy but it has been growing on me and now I really like the matte look.

    Inspirationsquelle, Ich wuerde es mit der weissen Spreuhfarbe mal probieren. Primer nimmt man ja oft nur weil er besser am Untergrund haftet. Bin ja sowieso immer fuer probieren geht ueber studieren ;)

    Santa & Kukua, Did you find anything to spray paint yet? ;)

    A76, he, he the neon craze is spreading fast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I love it! I had been looking for a spray primer and didn't have any luck finding any. Who would have thought automobile primer!? I am definitely going to have to try this on my lamp. P.s. I'm your newest follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome on my little blog Michelle! The white primer I used for my 2nd try is actually called Clean Metal Primer, also from Rustoleoum. Bought it at Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great DIY. Am I sensing an Abigail Ahern influence here? Would love to see how you style the newly neon pink candelabra in your home. (hint, hint...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He, he yes I there was a little bit of influence there but hot pink keeps just growing on me as is bright yellow. I will definitely post pictures once the candelabra found a good place. So far it's sitting on my printer ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...