Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

advent wreaths

Another thing I love about the time leading up to Christmas are advent wreaths. I like the idea of counting down the weeks until Christmas eve with burning down candles but I have to admit the history of where the tradition came from was a mystery to me. It is all explained in the wiki article I linked to. Last year I bought the Gloria candle holder (No.1) by Muuto at the Design Within Reach Outlet and like that I can use it as a regular candle holder as well as turning it into an advent candle holder, if you put only four candles in it.  Because I like non traditional wreaths or in this case candle holders I made a little round up of my favorites. All of them can be used year round, with the exception of No. 8, and pimped to make them look a little more like Christmas. I especially love No. 4 made out of copper pipes by Iris who writes the German blog Inspirationsquelle. I want to make one myself but I don't know if that will happen this year...

Of course I have another little story accompanying this post and it is about the word wreath. It is one of those words that I have read many times but never heard anyone actually say it out loud for a while after moving to the US, so I made up my own pronunciation in my head. When the time finally came to use wreath in a sentence I totally butchered it and my friend had no idea what I was talking about. Same happened with the words albeit and subpoena ;)

This year I only set up my Gloria candle holder again with four candles but haven't had the time to pimp it. Do you have an advent wreath at home? If you do what does it look like?

22 comments:

  1. These are the prettiest advent wreaths I've seen. And don't worry about your mispronunciation. I never knew how to say Presbyterian and got made fun of for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha Presbyterian is one of those words I have never said aloud either, I might mispronounce it too ;)

      Delete
  2. these are so pretty. i, too, especially love the copper piping one. i mess words up all the time and english is my first language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the copper one great! I am starting to become obsessed with all things copper...

      Delete
  3. Now I'm curious as to how you pronounced all those words! I'm with Christine, as a native speaker I still say thinks weird. I say "ee-gloo" instead of "igloo." I love all those, but the Kubus candle holder is my favorite. And those Klarna mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can use my mispronunciations as an ice breaker when we meet ;)

      Delete
  4. We are little bit late... But I have one progress, it should be finished today.
    You can see my on instagram. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still not finished with mine, food poisoning got in the way. Oh, well there are two more Advent Sundays to go ;)

      Delete
  5. Subpoena was new to me, now I'm wondering how it is pronounced. :)
    Ha those advent wreaths in the wiki look like one big fire hazard. I adore the Gloria still, so happy I have one. The ribbon candle holder is like a sculpture, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as I clicked 'Publish' I realized I know how it's pronounced. I must of heard it in some crime TV show.

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha I heard the word subpoena on a crime TV show for the first time as well...Still love my Gloria candle holder too!

      Delete
  6. So, I'm new to advent wreaths. Do you just light them up on the last 4 days before Christmas (is that why there are only 4 candles?) And I mess up words all the time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only four candles because the four Sundays before Christmas are being count down. You light one more each Sunday. I probably didn't explain it properly because it has some deeper religious meaning that I don't know ;)

      Delete
  7. my "wreath". i don´t know why, but for me, candles have to be red.
    and maybe i´ll do a very traditional one next year, because i miss the smell of evergreen. (please help me with the correct translation of "reisig")

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/leandra/1_Advent.jpg

    and i never thought about how to pronounce "wreath" correctly. i was suprised when i just listend via leo.org dictionary :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of evergreen too! When I google Reisig it is translated with brushwood/deadwood but I have never heard the stuff used for a wreath called Resig. Maybe that's something regional? Or my German is not as good as I though ;)

      Delete
    2. Naja, ich bin ja aus Österreich :-))
      Tannenreisig, Äste aus denen man den Kranz bindet.

      Delete
    3. Ich komme aus dem hohen Norden (Hamburg), wir haben immer Tannenzweige gesagt unter Reisig kenne ich nur so kahle Aeste. Wir meinen aber ja das gleiche :)

      Delete
  8. Hm, I've never seen these before. I'm liking the ones you featured. But, really, you had me at Design Within Reach outlet store. What?! I would almost make a special trip to the East Coast just to visit that store. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really tempting to live close to the DWR outlet, Ive stopped by numerous times. Luckily I don't find something every time but when I did, I got great deals..

      Delete
  9. These advent wreaths are truly adorable. Was quite busy in my cousin’s wedding at one of Los angeles wedding venues but now free to decorate my home for Christmas. Already have many big plans for the day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...